Tools & Materials You Will Need
- Skill saw or hand saw
- Hammer or screwdriver
- Construction adhesive
- 8—2 to 2 ½” cupped head screws or nails
- 8—1 ½” cupped head screws or nails
- 100% acrylic latex paint
Always use good construction practices. Always wear safety goggles and gloves when using power tools.
Note that the column is supported by the 4×4 pressure treated post. The outer decorative shell must not carry any load.
- Measure the height of the installation area (from floor to header or ceiling) for total installation height
- Take the adjustable base off the column shaft.
- Cut the PVC Column shaft 4” (four inches) less than the total height of the installation height.
- Cut the pressure treated 4×4 to the exact total height of the installation.
- Replace the base back onto the column shaft.
- Liberally apply construction adhesive to the bottom of the 4×4 post and the floor area of installation
- Place the column in the installation space.
- Drop the adjustable base section flush to the floor.
- Fasten base to shaft just below trim with two nails or screws (1 ½”) per side and countersink.
- Fasten capital to the header/ceiling with a screw or nail—2” to 2 ½” and countersink.
- Fasten flange of the capital through to the header/ceiling—insuring the fastener penetrates the header/ceiling at least 1 ½”— install two fasteners on each side of the column.
- Countersink all fasteners and fill with caulk.
- Finish with two coats high quality exterior 100% acrylic latex paint. Follow paint manufacturer’s instructions, For paint colors with a light reflective value of 54 or less. Use Vinyl safe paint.
Printable PDF Document